However, this is not new. Many Football observers seriously believed that Messi would leave Barça last summer. In fact, the reason for not doing so is said to be his high transfer fee, & in the case of suspected 1º candidate, Paris St Germain, the limits imposed by UEFA on Club spending with privately owned Clubs.
The reasons for Messi considering his exit are many, intertwined & also outside of the Sport sphere. Here is a list of talked about reasons , not in order of importance:
- Messi knows there are Club Directives that want to cash in with his transfer. Some feel his "cycle" at Barça is coming to an end & now his market value is optimal,
- Messi thus feels, he is not appreciated at the Club,
- Not the main protagonist any more, not the nº1 star,
- Neymar is seen as the future star, the shadow of the Brazilian is hoovering, & his salary has also opened some jealous wounds,
- New Coach Luis Enrique is not to his liking, as he plays out of his "normal position", the false centre forward. He prefers to have Xavi playing to serve him balls/passes, but Xavi is now more a "bench warmer",
- Messi is tiring from the non-stop media surveillance, where his every move & mistakes are heavy criticised & debated,
In conclusion, his press comments are a call for help? A threat ? Or the beginning of a strategic plan to smooth his exit for next season? Stay tuned...!