The Spanish Sports paper "Marca" bets that Diego Lopez will leave to either Italian Club Napoli or to Monaco. Both are very insistent with the possibility of signing Diego Lopez. However, things are not as clear as one would expect & this news piece opens up a variety of unexpected possibilities which still may surprise all of us.
What seems clear is that Real Madrid wishes to avoid this new season the ongoing debate & continual controversy of Iker Casillas vs Diego Lopez that has split the Club fanbase & fuelled media the last 12 months.
Earlier last month Spanish TV "Antenna 3" advanced that Real Madrid would sell both Iker Casillas & Diego Lopez, & substitute for Keylor Navas & RCD Espanyol goalie Kiko Casillas. The media source was criticised for announcing an over exaggerated "prediction" that now seems to be at least a half truth.
Other sources indicated that Iker Casillas is currently doubting whether to continue at Real Madrid for next season. His bad performance in the Champions League Final, World Cup & continuing criticism has made the apparent interest from Arsenal FC & Paris St Germain a possibility. His Club team-mate Diego Lopez has told his inner circle that he has no intention of leaving Real Madrid & feels better than last season to keep fighting for the Clubs Nº1 goalie position.
All this leaves open the following upcoming scenarios:
- Although "Marca" gives the scoop of Real Madrid signing Keylor Navas, we need to wait for an official Club announcement,
- The arrival of Keylor Navas will cause either Diego Lopez or Iker Casillas to leave the Club,
- Most media sources speculate that Diego Lopez will leave for either Napoli or Monaco,
- Iker Casillas leaving instead has gained strength in the last days. Club candidates are Arsenal FC or Paris St Germain,
- The possibility of both Diego Lopez & Iker Casillas leaving is still a viable option,
- If both leave, the new look Real Madrid goalkeepers would be Keylor Navas & Kiko Casillas (from RCD Espanyol).