Many were surprised to see Iker Casillas as the starting goalkeeper against Uruguay. Many believe that after being sidelined 5 months that Victor Valdes was the more appropriate choice, he too having earned merit to have started.
The match performance of Iker Casillas against Uruguay was difficult to judge as Spain played so well that Casillas intervened very little. If Cavani would have managed to touch a set piece header it would have been a goal, & the Luis Suarez free-kick goal was unstoppable & thus cannot be factored into any decision.
However, if one of the main principal reasons for a player to start is his form, Victor Valdes should have started. So why did Casillas play? This answer is deep inside the head of Coach Del Bosque & I can only speculate here. Doing so , there maybe a few reasons that may have pushed the balance the way of Casillas:
- Win back the players confidence: Casillas has lost confidence & doubt may have set into his play , thus this act by Del Bosque was a "personality builder".
- Image cleanser. Casillas has won himself prestige & the title of "The Best Keeper in the World". Both have been seriously undermined & questioned under Jose Mourinho while at Real Madrid.
- Coherence. Coach Del Bosque has supported Casillas the last months saying that independently of his situation at Real Madrid he would be called up to the Spanish National Team for the Confederations Cup. Del Bosque has said in numerous occasions that he personally has faith in Casillas.
- To prove wrong Jose Mourinho. Putting Casillas on against Uruguay showed that Iker was available & capable, against the ideas of a "critic" like Mourinho.
- Because Del Bosque is the Coach & he makes the decisions, thus does not need to justify to no one.
- Send a messaje to the squad that Del Bosque is a man of his words & that if you do your job well he will defend you.